Garage & Yard Sales
The Code of Ordinances concerning garage sales is as follows:
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Garage Sale means any sale entitled " garage sale" "lawn sale," "attic sale," "rummage sale," "flea market sale," or any similar casual sale of tangible personal property which is advertised by any means whereby the public at large is or can be made aware of such sale.
(Code 1991, § 13-26)
Definitions generally, § 1-2.
- Garage Sale permit. It shall be unlawful for any person to conduct a garage sale in the city without first filing with the city the information specified in this article and obtaining a permit to do so, which permit shall be known as a garage sale permit. The fee for such permit shall be as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code. Such permit shall be issued to any one person or location only once within a six-month period, and no such permit shall be issued for more than ten consecutive calendar days. Each such permit must be prominently displayed on the premises upon which the garage sale is conducted throughout the entire period of the permitted sale.
- Garage Sale sign permit.
- It shall be unlawful to erect signs advertising a garage sale on any premises other than the location of the garage sale without having first obtained a garage sale sign permit.
- Application for such sign permit shall be made to the sign inspector, and a permit fee as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code shall be paid.
- No such permit shall be issued unless there is deposited with the city the sum as provided in the fee schedule in Appendix B of this Code, which sum shall be returned to the applicant if the applicant causes all such signs, posters or advertisements to be removed within the time prescribed by this section.
- A maximum of seven signs shall be allowed, and no such sign, poster or advertisement shall be permitted to remain in a public place for a period longer than ten days. If such applicant does not cause the removal of such signs, posters or advertisements within the time specified by this section, then his deposit shall be forfeited to the city.
Garage Sale Permit/Sales Guidelines and Rules
- A garage sale permit must be obtained before conducting a garage sale. The free for the permit is $5.00, and may be obtained from the Water Department at City Hall
- A garage sale permit can be issued only once with a six (6) month period for the same address or same person and cannot exceed (10) consecutive days.
* You may re-schedule your garage sale start date on time (1X) as long as all of the following criteria are met:
(1) You have not opened the garage sale
(2) The stickers that were issued are still intact on the original strip and never removed
(3) and it is before the start date on the previously issued stickers
3. No signs shall be placed on utility poles or traffic esplanades.
4. If only one sign is placed on the property where the sale is held and no additional
signs are used, no additional permits are required.
5. If additional signs are to be put up, a sign permit must be obtained from the
Water Department. The fee for a garage sale sign permit is $5.00, and an additional
$25.00 is required as a deposit to guarantee the City that you will pick up your signs.
6. All signs are required to have a City of Deer Park sticker on them or they will be
picked up. These stickers are given to you at the time the permit is issued.
7. No more than seven (7) signs will be permitted.
8. Please allow approximately 3 TO 4 WEEKS for delivery of your refund check. In lieu of a check, you
may opt to credit your water account which will be credited to your account within 3 TO 5 BUSINESS
DAYS. In order to receive a refund or the return of your deposit you must return ALL stickers to the
Central Collections at City Hall within 20 days of the first date of the garage sale.
9. If the garage sale stickers are not returned within 20 days of issuance, then the $25.00 deposit
will be forfeited to the City.
You may return your garage sales sticker at City Hall Water Department, Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm or in the night drop at City Hall 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you return the stickers using the night drop, please place the stickers in an envelope with the address of the garage sale. make sure you contact the Water Department the next business day to verify receipt of the garage sale stickers by phone 281-478-7221 or Email Customer Service to ensure refund or credit of the garage sale deposit.